Tuesday, May 30, 2006


Mmmm, these are good. I only had a bite though, as I used soy yogurt in them. This is my latest veganized creation. I used a recipe that I had for a non-vegan muffin and well changed a bunch of things and then tweaked it some more. It hardly resembles the old recipe. It is a cinnamon streusel muffin. It is a bit more like a cupcake topped with streusel than a muffin. The healthy side of me wants to add bran, the other side of me says...yeah right. I will add the recipe to this post later so keep checking back if you'd like the recipe.

*updated w/recipe

Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

Preheat oven to 350. Line or grease muffin pan( I had a nonstick pan that I gave a light spray of olive oil to, I don't know if you need to spray the liners or not.)

2 cups of All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup veg oil
1/2 orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 cup soy yogurt
1/2 cup soured rice milk (1/2 cup rice milk with a 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar stirred in, set aside for 5 minutes)
1 tsp vanilla

streusel
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp (or so) veg oil
1/2 cup chopped pecans

First off, make the streusal. Mix the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon together well. Drizzle in the oil and form crumbs with a fork. I do a little oil at a time. The I don't like the crumbs too "heavy". So, I start with a tablespoon and will add a little more if they are too "dry."Stir in the pecans. Set the crumbs aside.

In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a smaller bowl mix together the veg oil, orange juice, zest, soured rice milk, yogurt, and vanilla. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry.

For the very large topped muffins fill the batter to the top of the muffin cup. For smaller(and more muffins), fill 3/4 full. Top with streusel and bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks a lot for the recipe those looks awesome!

7:07 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

WOW!!! Lookin' g-o-o-d!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Freedom said...

That looks awesome! Despite just about living on muffins (check out my blog and you'll see!) I have never tried topping them with anything. I don't know if I'll try this particular topping but it has definately inspired me to try and come up with my own!

10:46 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

Thanks for another great recipe. : )
hmm
maybe i'll have time to try it this weekend. the week always seems so busy

Teddy

11:05 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

!WOW! Now THAT looks great!

:)
My MwM are up now.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Fiber said...

These look awesome! I love anything with a streusel crust.

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home