Thursday, May 18, 2006


* The picture isn't showing up and I don't know why...It does work if I click on it though. So hopefully it will for you too.*

Well, I am back. Here is a picture of my latest creation. It's a creation out of necessity, sort of. My necessity not to waste anything, that is. I bought some Red River Cereal. It is a flax, rye and wheat type hot cereal. I didn't care for it as a cereal. But, there was a recipe on the back and I thought that maybe I could bake with it. Now, I didn't follow the recipe on the back of the box. I changed ingredients and made them vegan. The variety on the box were apricot. I made apple-cinnamon. These are good, especially with some apple butter slathered on. The hot cereal makes a crunchy top which has a distinctively nutty taste. I do like it. I wish I had some yogurt on hand because I think that would have made them even better. All I had was egg replacer and I am not big on the egg replacer. But, they turned out nice, certainly unique...

Here is the recipe:

Apple cinnamon bran muffins

Filling: 1 c. granny smith apple, diced
3/4 c Red River Cereal
1 1/2 cup hot water
2 Tbsp. b. sugar

Batter:
1 1/2 c oat bran
3/4 c AP flour
1 1/4 tsp b. soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c. rice milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp oil
1 egg replacer (or even better would be 1/4 -1/3 cup soy yogurt)
1/2 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 365 degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.

Mix vinegar into rice milk, set aside. On stovetop, combine filling ingredients, simmer for 6-7 minutes, set aside to cool.

Batter: Mix first 6 ingredients. Beat in egg replacer(or yogurt), rice milk mixture, and oil. Add in the apple filling. Mix well. Add in pecans. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake 20 -25 minutes. Let cool and serve with apple butter.

5 Comments:

Blogger Freedom said...

the pic works if you click on it, but it's really pixelated. Still yummy looking though! These sound really good - I've had success making things with cereal before too!

2:17 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

You are the muffin queen!! *bows* I've never baked with cereal!

2:13 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Great-lookin' muffins! And using cereal, my favorite food in the world...

Cool! Thanks for the post.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Looks great! :)
Thanks for your comments on my blog! I just posted a few mini posts - hopefully more later.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Fiber said...

These sound awesome, and I love the healthiness of them. Excellent recipe!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home