Friday, April 14, 2006


You know, I don't think I had ever even seen a scone until I left North Dakota for the great Southwest. And then, when I saw them in Phoenix, they weren't vegan. They had milk and milk and I just do not agree on so many levels. Now, I am not sure why I never attemped to veganize them. Maybe I wasn't sure I would like them or something. I had totally planned a batch of chocolate chip cookies today. But, thanks to my boyfriend's chocolate chip habit, I didn't have enough chocolate chips. So, I set out to find something else to make. I have been on baking hiatus for far too long. I felt completely compelled to bake something, anything! So, I picked up Vegan with a Vengeance and paged though it, stopping at the Orange Scone recipe. I had all the ingredients. I love oranges. Before I knew it, I had made up my own mind(that's actually really hard to do). So, yes I did make some substitutions. Why? Because I always do and I can't use soy(except soy margarine doesn't seem to bother me). So, I substituted some rice milk for soy creamer and half of the flour got replaced with spelt flour. I didn't know if I dare go all the way with the spelt flour. Maybe that is a quest for another day. I also pressed the rounds of dough into slivered almonds. I have the opinion that almost anything baked is better with nuts.

I want to say that I hope I have made it entirely clear that vegans and vegetarians alike should run to the bookstore(or surf amazon or whatever) and buy Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Oh and yes, the scones are delicious.

1 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I love Vegan with a Vengance! I've made about a dozen recipes so far. I've never liked a cookbook so much!

Barbara

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home