Thursday, March 30, 2006

Oriental tofu salad aka "chik" n salad. This is one of my kids' favorites. I can't eat it, but, how I wish I could.

First off, you bake a little tofu. Here is my method:

1/2 block of firm tofu(not silken), diced into pieces about 1/2 inch by1/2 inch

toss with:
a few dashes of braggs
a sprinkling of veg broth powder (not necessary)
a tablespoot of olive oil
and then with some nutritional yeast.

Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. I usually bake it on a flat cookie sheet. You can bake it longer if you want it crispier. But watch it so that it doesn't get too crispy.

For salad:
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 small carrot shredded
1/4 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, diced
the baked tofu

throw into a bowl and mix together

dressing:
1/4 cup veganaise
drizzle of sesame oil ( you really don't want to over do it)
two small dashes of tamari
1 tsp agave nectar
1 tbsp rice milk
pinch of ginger spice

Mix together in a small bowl. Stir into the tofu mixture, mixing well. Chill for 1 hour (or longer). Serve on endive cups* or in a nice hearty wheat bread for a sandwich(usually makes about 5 sandwiches).

Endive cups are just leaves of endive lettuce. They make sort of a natural cup.

8 Comments:

Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

your cupcakes look amazing..especially the ones with almonds on top. did you make them all in one day? i'm adding a link...

9:48 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Nifty! Might have to try thise! Once I get a new oven!!!

6:57 AM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

Hey Vicki! A fellow Idahoian, it's good to know I am not the only vegetarian in Idaho. Sometimes, I wonder. Thanks on the cupcakes, I made the cupcakes over the course of about a week, it was a lot of fun. I too have been thinking about adding more links. Now, I just need to get less busy to actually implement it.

harmonia- I am sure diced tofu that was tossed with braggs and a little oil would fry up nicely for the salad as well.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

My nose led the way to the muffin page - they look scrumptious! I found your blog by a link from another I don't remember which because I been to so many since someone told me about the vegan lunch box. I love this blogging. Thanks for sharing your pictures. The tofu salad looks good to. Mind if I ask why not tofu for you?

6:32 AM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

Tofu seems to give me migraine headaches, skin rashes and horrendous gas. So, no more for me.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

Oh - I read, no more tofu for you! Sounds like a food allergy. My son has food allergies. We follow a rotation style diet.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

I know what you mean, we live in a gun-toting state. I wish that didn't exist...otherwise I love Idaho. Where do you shop? The Co-op?
A week of cupcakes sounds very sweet indeed. :o)

12:44 PM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

that sounds great...so I'll have the salad with a cupcake please!

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home