Monday, April 17, 2006

I am working on something, I promise. Do you remember or have you seen those Little Debbie Oatmeal sandwich cookies? Well, I have a kid that used to love them. Apparently, they used to give them out at school for snacks(pre-veg days)...eegads. Well, I am going to work on veganizing them. Hopefully, making them even just a little healthier. Although, I am sure there will be some guilt factor. Now, I can't say that I've ever had one. So, I am relying on my children to tell me what they taste like. My daughter says they will definitely need ginger. Anyone else have any idea what they taste like? I will test bake a batch this week and let you know how it goes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Danielle D. said...

I've never had them but I did find some recipes that you could either veganize or use for inspiration:

This recipe is all over the web:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/521/Little_Debbie_Oatmeal_Creme_Pies44276.shtml

Here's a blog entry from someone who veganized the recipe above:
http://monkeyeatfood.blogspot.com/2005/04/oatmeal-creme-pies.html

Here's a version with less fat:
http://www.recipelink.com/ch/2002/december/lowfattopsecretrecipes2.html

7:07 PM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

Thanks for the links. It's good to see that my ideas are headed in the right direction. It is interesting what the veganized recipe looks like. I am going to avoid egg replacer on this one if I can. I am not always happy with what it does to cookies. Also, I will use earth balance instead of soy garden. I think ricemallow will work nice too. I've never seen the smuckers marshmallow topping anywhere? That suprises me, I guess, who wouldn't want a marshmallow ice cream topping??I will also most certainly avoid crisco heh. I will use spectrum shortening instead. I will add some cinnamon and ginger to the cookie batter as well. Mostly, I just think they would taste good :D

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home