Tuesday, June 20, 2006




Coconut Curry of mixed potatoes, spinach and chickpeas

1 medium sweet potato, peeled, chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1.5 cups chickpeas or 1-19 oz can drained
1 large onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can coconut milk
1 large bunch of spinach, chopped into largish pieces
1 large ripe tomato, chopped
1-2 tbsp curry powder(you get to decide how hot)
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
*olive oil for the saute

Heat olive oil in pan and saute the onion for 5 minutes. Add the spices and saute for 1 more minute. Add the potatoes and garlic and saute for another minute. After that, add in the chickpeas and coconut milk. Simmer this together for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Make sure the heat isn't too high and stir every once in a while so nothing sticks to your pan. Just before serving add the tomato and spinach. Cover and cook just until the spinach is wilted (just a few minutes). We serve this over brown basmati rice.

*This is optional, but sometimes I add a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast. I got this tip from another "curry" recipe that I use. If you wish to use nutritional yeast add it when you add the coconut milk.

6 Comments:

Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

This looks marvelous.

3:49 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

Curry is my FAVORITE.

8:15 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

What a treat that must be!!

8:58 PM  
Blogger t. said...

some of my favourite ingredients in this recipe!
Mouth-watering-right-now!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Congratulations on making Slashfood's favorite 8 Vegan Food Blogs! You're in nice company. :o)

8:01 AM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

This is a favorite recipe around here. We adore yams and sweet potatoes though.

Thanks Vicki! I was suprised myself when I saw that. I agree, I am in good company.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home