Tuesday, February 14, 2006


Ooooh. If I never post again you will know that I went into a sugar coma after dessert. This is just a wacky cake with a frosting that I am still perfecting. But, it is sooo good.There is a layer of smooshed and lightly sugared raspberries and some chopped almonds. I didn't have enough to decorate the outside though. I wish I did, a few raspberries would really break up all that darkness. I also replaced the vanilla in the frosting and cake with almond extract. I also added some weird choclately lace things that is just some bitter chocolate with veg shortening piped onto wax paper.
Edited to add recipe:

Cake- This is a basic "wacky" cake recipe. So, I can't take credit. I just changed a few ingredients. I replaced some of the oil with applesauce and changed vanilla to almond extract.

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
6 Tbsps cocoa
2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup applesauce
2 Tbsps vinegar
2 tsps almond extract(or vanilla)
2 cups cold water

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make three "holes" in the dry mixture. Put oil/applesauce, vinegar and almond extract each in a separate hole. Pour water over top and mix well. Pour int2 - 9 inch round pans or 19X13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Do not check until 30 minutes is up. Test center with toothpick or wooden skewer. Make sure the center is done, though. Let cool a bit before removing from the pan. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting
1/2 cup melted earth balance(or other margarine)
1/2 cup cocoa
2.5 -3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup coconut milk(chilled, do not shake can, use thick white stuff)
1 tsp almond extract(or vanilla)

Add melted margarine to the cocoa. Add coconut milk and almond extract. Add powedered sugar a little at a time and beat until mixture is desired consistency.

Layer fillings- for this cake I used 1/2 cup of chopped roasted almonds. I also took 3/4 cup of raspberries and sprinkled them with sugar. I let them set for about five minutes. I then smooshed them a little.

To assemble the cake, I took the first layer and put some frosting on it, then the raspberry mixture and nuts. I put the next layer over the top and frosted that and then the sides. I stored this cake in the refrigerator. I did that mostly because we LOVE cold cake and I thought the frosting and raspberries would taste better that way.

8 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

Oh dear. That looks good.


I must confess...I goofed today. Ek!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

oh oh oh my! Will you be posting the recipe for this?

11:30 AM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

Heh, well I borrowed the cake recipe. But, I did change it a little. Let me throw together everything I did tonight and I'll put it up tomorrow.

12:38 PM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Oh my gosh I just practically swooned out loud! What is on top????

12:46 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Have you seen any of the Women's Hockey in the Olympics? I'm watching it right now. U.S is down 3-2 against Finland.

12:56 PM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

The stuff on top is just some bitter chocolate(melted) mixed with veg shortening and squirted onto wax paper through a cake decorating bag. I did squiggles and hearts and stuck them into the cake and frosting after they had set. There is also shaved chocolate on top.

I have only gotten to watch a little of the Women's hockey. I prefer Men's. Here is the secret though (even though I am from the US...) I am a Team Canada girl heh.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oooh! damn, can't you be MY valentine?? i think i need to bake my honey a cake!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Dreena said...

Looks like it came out of a bakery... beautiful job!

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home