Monday, January 30, 2006


Oops, my bad on the picture. We just ripped into this dish and I forgot to take a picture. All I got was a picture of what was left.

Chickpea and Broccoli Macaroni

preheat oven to 350

3-4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
2 cups of frozen broccoli, thawed
2 cups of chickpeas, cooked or out of a can

Sauce
1/4 of vegan margarine
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup flour
2-2 1/2 cups of soymilk, plain
1 Tbsp Tamari or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp paprika
1/2 -3/4 cup of nutritional yeast (depending on how much nut yeast you like)
1 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
1 tsp prepared brown spicy mustard
ground pepper

In a saucepan, melt the margarine on low heat. Add in the Olive Oil. Then, beat in the flour with a whisk until thick, bubbly and smooth. Whip in the soymilk (a little bit at a time). After soymilk is added, add in the salt, Tamari, garlic powder, and paprika. Cook until thick and bubbly (while still whipping or stirring so it doesn't clump up). Whip in the nutritional yeast, tomato paste, and mustard. Add some fresh ground pepper.

Mix together the chickpeas, broccoli, macaroni and sauce in a largish casserole dish. Bake in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

My "cheese" never looks that creamy. Of course I don't use soy milk. Would Coconut milk or almond milk work, I wonder?

7:40 AM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

It might, I would go with coconut milk...only because I love it so much. Actually, I should try it. I dunno about almond milk because that seems to me too sweet in a sugary way that might not work with a savory casserole.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home