Tuesday, January 24, 2006


My youngest son totally freaks out when I make these.

Sunflower Coconut cookies

1.5 cups of vegan margarine
1 cup of beet sugar(white sugar)
1/2 a cup of turbinado or brown sugar
1 cup of dry flaked unsweetened coconut
Cream the above ingredients together in a bowl.

In another bowl mix together:
3 cups of flour
1/2 tablespoon of Baking Soda
3/4 tablespoon of Baking powder
1 tsp salt
1.5 teaspoons of egg replacer (just add the powder in)
1 cup roasted sunflower seeds

Add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture. You will get a very dry mixture that won't go together very well. So, to this add in some water(or soymilk) a little bit at a time(shouldn't need more than half a cup). You can stir it in or just use your hands. Make sure you don't get the dough too sticky(if you do, just add some more flour.)
Roll into small balls (1.5 inches maybe) and then slightly flatten them on the cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes( or until edges are just turning golden).

Now, I realize that this is a lot of margarine... I have replaced up to half a cup with applesauce sucessfully. You really get a different cookie though and that's not a bad thing necessarily! When I do sub applesauce I always add at least a teaspoon of cinnamon. Mmmmm!

3 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

You're my first blog visit of the day! :)

Thanks for commenting on my St. Jude's Post. I am glad that your lil buddy is doing better. My thought are with you and your family and friends!

These cookies are wonderfully tasty looking. I can't bake at all. Even more than I couldn't cook before I tried...but seriously, I mess EVERYTHING up when I have baked so I just don't do it. BUT I LOVE EATING THEM.

:)

6:14 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

You must have just logged on to my blog while I was posting two more entries! They are up now.

WOW! I bet those illustrations will be wonderful!

:)

10:51 AM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

These look gorgeous! I was just thinking about coconut, and cookies, so you know..I am adding this to my mental checklist!

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home