Thursday, January 05, 2006

French Toast

Our favorite recipe. Yes, we love it. We serve it with deluxe hasbrowns and a fruit bowl, usually. On top we usually just have maple syrup. But, I am sure fruit would be wonderful. Now, this is very similar to Candle Cafe's French Toast recipe, but I changed some ingredients.

1 pound silken tofu
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of almond milk
1/4 cup agave nectar
3 tsps cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

1 loaf french or italian bread, slightly dried out and sliced into 3/4 to 1 inch slices.
dab of coconut oil and some safflower oil for cooking ( I have found that the coconut oil is important for the taste. My kids think it smells funny, but they love the way it tastes.)

Now, I have found that a certain method works best. I take out my cookie cooking racks and put either paper towels or a cotton town underneath it (there is going to be a bit of a mess). Leave it until needed.

In a blender process the tofu, almond milk, agave nectar, cinnamon, and vanilla until blended smooth. I then transfer it to a shallow bowl. If it isn't runny enough (it should be pretty runny) I add another 1/4 or1/2 cup of almond milk. I then dip the pieces, both sides, and transfer it to the cooling rack. It will then drip onto the towels and more importantly, through the bread. Repeat with all the pieces.

Then on medium heat in a large frying pan or, even better, electric frying pan, heat some safflower oil( I use about an 1/8th of a cup), add a tablespoon of coconut oil. When up to temp add the bread and cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Then, flip it over and cook for another 5 minutes or until lightly browned. It should be a bit crispy outside.

Remove from pan to a cookie sheet and place in the oven. I find this helps firm up the toast.

A whole loaf of french or italian bread can make several batches of french toast. I just put it into the oven while I cook the rest. The last time we made it, I got 21 pieces. So, you may want to adjust the recipe if you don't want that much.

5 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

I need to get some almond milk!!!

Oh! What kind of sourdough bread do you buy?

5:57 AM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

I usually just buy the sourdough rounds that our co-op makes. It has basic, not so confusing ingredients.

6:22 AM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

This is dinner tonight. So, I will post pics if I can snap them before said toast is devoured.

8:42 AM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

That sounds fabulous! I've only tried vegan french toast once before, simple cornstarch/flour + soymilk and vanilla recipe..I have french bread leftovers and I wish it was breakfast time!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Oh! I forgot you posted this - this is how you veganize French Toast! Thanks!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home