Friday, February 24, 2006


Mmmmm gyoza dumplings.I love them. I get the skins at the asian market. I have never seen vegan skins in my grocery store. The filling is kale, shredded carrot, jicama, green onions, ginger, and garlic that I drizzled with sesame oil and a little vegetarian oyster sauce. Normally, I would use soy sauce, but I think I am having some troubles with soy, so I am trying to cut it out for a while, at least. Then, fill the skins, seal with water on your finger tip. Then, there is a variety of ways in which to cook these. You can deep fry them or steam them in a steamer. I chose to fry/steam them. First, put about one tablespoon of vegetable(or peanut, or canola, etc) in a pan. Heat it up and add the dumplings seam side up. Fry them on medium until the bottoms brown (anywhere from 5-10 minutes). Then add a 1/3 cup of water and cover the pan. Steam the dumplings until water is gone from the pan (usually about 10 minutes). You can hear the sizzle change. Then they are done. I made a dipping sauce out of veg oyster sauce, a little water, and hot garlic chili sauce. Delicious!

4 Comments:

Blogger Virginie said...

Thank you for the recipe. I'd like to try it steamed. If it's as delicious as your brownies, I should spend a greedy meal. Cheers !

3:48 PM  
Blogger GS said...

I am another fan of the vegan gyoza, I usually use fresh shitake mushroom for the filling, but experimented with cauliflower recently. For recipes you are welcome to check it out http://confessionsofafoodnazi.blogspot.com/2006/01/gyoza-gyoza-my-queendom-for-gyoza.html

3:17 PM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

I totally forgot. There were mushrooms! :) I'll check out your site:)

9:40 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

I've never had those before...look interesting!

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home