Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Quinoa Black Bean Pilaf

Inspired once again by Fat Free Vegan. I decided to do a quinoa dish for dinner. It was a pretty major hit as my kid had thirds. I quick came here to post it so that I wouldn't forget what I put into it.

Quinoa Black Bean Pilaf

1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 orange or red pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 med. zucchini, diced
1 cup quinoa, rinsed to wash away bitterness(I use a fine mesh sieve)
2 cups veg broth
juice of one lime
1/2 tsp chipotle powder (or one chipotle pepper in adobo) I would use more but I needed to make this kid friendly.
1 tsp cumin
1 16 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste
handful of chopped cilantro

Take a large pan or dutch oven and spray with non-stick spray. Saute onions, peppers, and zucchini (after a couple minutes add a few tablespoons of water). Take a pinch of salt and add it. Add quinoa to pot/pan, add chipotle powder, cumin, lime juice, and veg broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer and cover for about 15 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed. Uncover, add beans, stir, and then recover and cook for an additiona 4-5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste, garnish with cilantro, and then dig in!

5 Comments:

Blogger warren said...

I'm never going to cook any of these things, but boy am i hungry. more pictures! (P.s. 9 games back? Not a chance. *sigh*)

4:37 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

are you interested in being part of a testgroup to try 4 new vegan PROBAR flavors. E-mail me at probarfeedback [at] Gmail [dot] com. Thanks!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Amy Hojnacki said...

This sounds delicious.

I just started a vegan blog, feel free to add me :)!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

this recipe sounds amazing...thanks for coming to my blog and entering the giveaway. good luck and so glad that you like the blog.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

請繼續發表好文!加油加油再加油! .................................................................

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home