Sunday, December 10, 2006

Recipe, but no picture


I hope to have a picture up tomorrow. But, I'll give you my recipe.Updated with a picture!












Peppermint Patties

1/2 medium baked potato or one small (out of shell, mashed up, no butter or salt or pepper added, roughly a little more than 2 Tbsps.)
2 cups powdered sugar(more, if needed. You could use up to a pound + a cup or so)
1.5 tsps peppermint extract
2 tbsp soymilk powder

Have a cookie sheet lined with wax paper at the ready. Make sure your baked potato is mashed up very well. I use a fork. Make sure there are no small lumps or anything. Add all ingredients together and mix well. If a stiff fondant has not formed, add additional powdered sugar by the 1/4 cup. The sugar amount can vary a bit. I am guessing that is because of the varying degrees of starchiness of the potatoes. When the fondant is workable(holding shape). Take about a tablespoon of the mixture at a time and form into balls. Place them on the cookie sheet and press them down into a patty shape. When all are formed, place in the freezer for a few minutes until firm. It doesn't actually take that long. I leave them about 15 minutes usually.

Chocolate coating
1 cup chopped dark chocolate**
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp. shortening (earth balance stick shortening or spectrum is what I use)

Melt the chocolate with the shortening in a double boiler (or use a microwave method).

** If you don't have any dark chocolate, you can just use and additional cup of chocolate chips.

Remove patties from the freezer. Dip the patties in the chocolate and place back on the wax paper. When all are coated, place in the refridgerator until chocolate is set. I store these in layers, in a sealed container in the refridgerator.

*For the dipping, I take a wooden skewer, poke the patties onto the end of it and then dip and remove with a flick of the finger. If you can get the right method down, it works very well.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jul said...

Those sound delicious! I hope I can find some peppermint extract here (the Swiss aren't so big on extracts).

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the recipe, thanks!

Have a great Holidays!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Fiber said...

Wow - are you serious? What an interesting and great looking recipe. I will have to put this on my list of things to try.

I also wanted to wish you a very Happy New Year!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Wow! What yummy looking Peppermint Patties! I SO have to try these.

...When I get home...out of this Albuquerque snow storm...

Why didn't I know you had a blog? I should have figured! Looks awesome!

(It's Tofu-N-Sprouts from VB by the way)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

potatoes in a peppermind patty?! wow, never heard of that, but it looks good!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Okaaaay darlin' we are all set to make these and I noticed the 'Powdered Soymilk'... um... I'm wondering what the result will be if I don't add this? Probably not as rich a tasting fondant (center candy filling)? Texture wise, will they still turn out though?

Ugh, I was so anticipatng peppermint patties tonight...

7:12 PM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

These look really interesting and yummy! What a cool recipe!

7:00 AM  
Blogger SDGvegan said...

TNS- sorry I totally missed your comment. I think you could do it without the powdered soymilk and it would just be a little less rich like you said. I think it would still taste fine.

6:42 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home