Thursday, August 03, 2006


Here is something my oldest and I have been working on. They are deeee-licious.

Wheat and flax pancakes

1 1/4 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup bran (oat or wheat)
1/4 cup ground flax
1.5 Tbsps sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups of rice milk
1 egg replacer prepared
3 tbsp veg oil
2 tbsp apple sauce
1-2 tbsp water if needed (Sometimes the batter is too thick, it might be just a variance in the flour, I am not sure.)

Mix all dry ingredients (wheat flour through sugar) in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and add the wet ingredients. Mix until just mixed through. Do not overmix. Let the batter sit for a few minutes before cooking. Cook on medium heat 2-3 minutes a side. They don't get too bubbly on top. They do sort of look a little puffy when they are ready to be turned. Keep them warm on a cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven. This recipe makes about 14 pancakes if you use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure them out.

I have tried these without the egg replacer as there is flax and apple sauce in them. But, they just seemed better with it. So, I keep it.

5 Comments:

Blogger funwithyourfood said...

they look fluffy and thick. YUM

Teddy

5:54 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I was thinking the same thing-they're so fluffy!

12:00 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Me too! Look at the fluffiness! They came out perfect!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Hi! Sorry it has taken me a while but I wanted to let you know that I have moved my blog! Yup! A new addy! It's http://harmonia.bloggoing.com - swing by and check it out when you have time. My old one will still be active for the daily OM and blogroll. Hope to see you soon!

Looks YUMMY btw!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Virginie said...

In France we don't use very much flax seeds, nearly only in the bread, to improve nutritional qualities. Do you use ground flax seeds to get a texture or a taste ?

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home